Artworks is a non-profit organization for the humanities and the arts located in Big Rapids, Michigan. Its mission is to initiate and support humanities and arts activities that enrich our lives, nurture our creative effort and vitalize the community.
Some of the many programs and activities supported by Artworks.
- A fine art gallery for art exhibits and Gift Shop with unique art from Michigan artists.
- Art classes for persons of all ages and skills
- A dance studio for ballroom, ballet, jazz and other dance lessons
- A pottery studio for ceramics classes or private kiln rental
- A foreign film series to screen and discuss international movies
- Festival of the Arts events
- Artworks Intimate Theatre plays with area talent
- Art Attack for students from area school districts to display their artwork in the Artworks Gallery
- Writers and poets’ groups and workshops
- Great Michigan Read events with regional book discussions and presentations
- Music at Pocket Park throughout the summer in downtown Big Rapids
- Riverdays events over Labor Day weekend
- Biennial Quilt Show
- Rental space for parties, events and meetings
- “Up and Down the River”, the weekly Pioneer column by local writers
- Art-enriching activities for special populations of the community
- Walking tour packages that include: FSU’s Artwalk; Riverwalk; Arborwalk of historic homes; City Tree Walk; Plaques and Sculptures on the Landscape; Recorded Firsts of Mecosta County; and A Walk through History.